Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine


While my experience with Barleywines is rather limited, I think they're great so far. One of the strongest styles of beer, and a style that ages over years, just like wine.

A metallic red hue and the aroma of hops and melon come from Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barleywine. Fruity, sweet malt, with some aggressive hops at the end. The flavor is full and layered. Quite well balanced, with a finish similar to big IPAs. A bit on the low end as far as ABV goes for a Barleywine. However, that still puts it at 9.6%!

There's a fun scene on the label, too. (By the way, I have a camera on the way, so these pics will get better soon).

A multiple award winner, and it really is good, but I need to have more barelywines before I can declare it a king.

Grade: A

2 comments:

  1. As much of a pain as it is, and has hard as it is, I think Bigfoot is best after one year. Just one, I cannot hold it any longer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patience is not known to be one of my virtues, but I will try!

    ReplyDelete