Monday, February 14, 2011

Heavy Seas Black Cannon


A couple of firsts for me with Heavy Seas Black Cannon. My first from them, and my first Black IPA. But even from the first sip, I know this won't be the last! Smells like fruit and pine, like you would expect from an IPA, and it's definitely black. I'm noticing some familiar stout characteristics with a dry, smokey mouth feel. Some chocolate and nutiness. It is a bit lighter than most stouts, and while there are some hops in the finish, it isn't a huge, in your face IPA. Really well balanced, and there isn't even a hint of the 7.3% ABV.

This might disappoint hop heads expecting a super bitter IPA, but I think it's a great blend of two dispirate (yes, that's on purpose) styles.

Plus, I'm diggin on the pirate theme.

I haven't heard of many Black IPAs, but I could really see this catching on. Perhaps a future homebrew project of mine!

It's very good, but I don't know if I can quite go to great.

Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment