Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA


While retrotagging all my previous reviews (so now when you click on Great Lakes in the tags below, it'll bring up all the beers I have reviewed from Great Lakes), I noticed my IPA reviews were quite thin. Here's an attempt to rectify that with Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA. Hazy orange with hops and fruit in the nose. The first thing I notice in the taste is some malt but the hops certainly make their entrance known with a fruity finish. The aftertaste is lingering bitterness and peach. Pretty dry, too. Hops are pretty big, but not so much as to make it undrinkable. I've had more aggressive and less aggressive IPAs. I like that there is some complexity other than a hop bludgeoning and nothing else. True IPA freaks may not like this as much as I do, but I think it's quite nice. Not a huge ABV at 6%, but it'll get you where you want to be for sure!

And who is Commodore Perry, you ask? A War of 1812 naval hero who utter the famous phrase "Don't give up the ship!" Or as Great Lakes has tweaked it, "Don't give up the sip!"


Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment