Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Hoppin' Frog D.O.R.I.S.


A Double Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout sounds quite inviting, doesn't it? It's Akron's Hoppin' Frog D.O.R.I.S. The Destroyer! Even though Akron isn't that far away, this is the first I can even remember seeing anything from Hoppin' Frog.

The first thing that stands out is the color. Black as tar and exceptionally thick with the darkest brown head I have ever seen. Smells of wood and alcohol. The taste? Well, it's so complex it's going to take a while to get through this! Starts with hops and bittersweet chocolate, a wallop of hop bitterness, hint of sweet, then a burnt finish. It's past roasted into burnt, and normally that wouldn't work, but it really does. A bit of alcohol late in the finish. A lot of RISs I have had feature some sweet currant flavors rather prominently, but this doesn't. The most surprising taste really is the burnt finish, but I'm digging it.

Rather expensive at more than $10 for a 22 oz, but it's great!

Can't forget the 10.5% ABV, either.

Grade: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment