Wednesday, February 16, 2011

North Coast Brewing Brother Thelonious


Named after jazz master Thelonious Monk, this is North Coast Brewing's take on a Belgian Abbey ale, Brother Thelonious. Nice light mahogany color, but not much in the nose other than malt. Full in the mouth with a hint of sweet malt and spice with a sour finish. The more I drink it, all I am getting is sour fruit.


Two things on the plus side, it's 9.3% ABV, and when you buy it, there's a donation to the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz.

It's pretty good, but a bit too sour for me. Not nearly as impressive as North Coast's Old Rasputin. I'd be willing to try it again because after reading other reviews it does seem like it's supposed to be sour, so perhaps it's a bad bottle. But at what it cost, I'd rather have two of something completely new.

Grade: C

No comments:

Post a Comment