Saturday, January 22, 2011

Bell's Hopslam


I have a confession. I don't consider myself a "hop head". I mean, I do love craft beer. And I do like IPAs, but I kinda have to be in the mood for them. That said, with all the buzz around Bell's Hopslam, there was no way I couldn't try this beer.

Bell's Hopslam has a huge, white head, but the color was paler than I had expected. The hop aromas hit me as soon as I opened the bottle. The aroma is chock full of the familiar hoppy flavors of grapefruit and pine. The flavor is very interesting. The hops are definitely there, and huge, but the addition to honey adds a sweet finish. It's dry, the hops linger longer than the honey, and you won't find better lacing.

Bell's Hopslam does have a ton of hops, but I wouldn't say it's as overpowering as I expected. Despite the 10% ABV, that isn't overpowering, either. Considering how much is going on, it's amazingly well balanced.

I get the hype. This is awesome!

Grade: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment