Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Troegs Brewing Troegenator Double Bock


You've heard beer referred to as "liquid bread." Doppelbocks are why. During times of fasting, monks would rely on stronger beers, like doppelbocks, for nutrition. I love them because they taste good! Troegs Brewing makes quite a tasty one with Troegenator.

A dark copper with ruby edges flows out of the bottled adorned with an interesting looking character set off with bushy white hair and a nasty set of horns. I assume he is The Troegenator. Smells like bread and spice. Not a lot of hops here, but I do get some sweet, toasty bread, some spice in the finish with a bit of chocolate in the aftertaste. Not really bitter, and the 8.2% ABV is sneaky.

Compared to Celebrator, this is not as creamy and the mouthfeel isn't as full, but the flavors are more assertive.

Troegs Brewing is based in Harrisburg, PA and this is the first I've had from them. But based on this and reading the brews on their website, I'm very interested in trying again.

Could I live on this if I had to? I'd certainly be willing to try!

Grade: A

1 comment:

  1. I have no problem living with this as my go to Doppelbock. It is hard to compare any to Celebrator, but Troegenator is very good in its own right.

    ReplyDelete