Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Bluegrass Bourbon Barrel Stout Review


After trying, and loving, a couple of bourbon barrel styles, I am now picking up all I can find. This is Bluegrass Brewing's Bourbon Barrel Stout. The appearance certainly is what you would expect from a stout. It's black, thick, and smooth with a huge, creamy tan head. It was excessively carbonated and took a couple of pours to get it in the glass. The color had me instantly wondering something that unfortunately was true of this beer. Because of the stout characteristics including the roasted, smokey, nutty flavors, the bourbon was really hard to pick up. There were some late woody and vanilla notes, but the bourbon was not as prominent as I would have liked. I liked this beer, but I would not go for it if I was in the mood for a bourbon ale. It's kinda like a Porsche Boxter. I mean, yeah, it's a Porsche, but you should probably go for the 997.

Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment